First Unitarian Church is certified as a Safer Congregation.
The members of the Safer Congregation Committee is composed of Rev. Roberta Finkelstein (Minister), Catherine Williamson (Director of Religious Exploration), Donna Gonzalez (Board of Trustees), Becky Laster (at large) and Jason Hann-Deschaine (at large).
Some of the responsibilities of the Safer Congregations Committee are:
● Know about community resources for child abuse, treatment for sex offenders, and support groups for survivors.
● Know about state laws regarding reporting.
● Be a resource for people to share their concerns. (Please feel free to contact any member of the Committee to talk about your concerns.)
● Facilitate annual training on issues, policies, and procedures relevant to sexual/physical abuse. (Several are planned for later in the church year. E-news will provide updates as these sessions are scheduled.)
● Receive allegations of possible abuse and develop a process for expedient handling of such allegations.
Learn more about the certification process, here.
It has been in the news for years that child sexual abuse can and does happen within churches. It is hard to imagine that it could happen within our own church. Yet, it is possible. It takes a community effort to prevent, recognize, and react reasonably to child sexual abuse. First Unitarian Church of Wilmington […]