First Unitarian Church is certified as a Safer Congregation.
The members of the Board’s Safer Congregation Committee is composed of:
- Rev. Dr. Larry Peers (Minister) – firstname.lastname@example.org
- Catherine Williamson (Director of Religious Exploration), – email@example.com
- Ed Scott (Board of Trustees) – EdS@firstuuwilm.org
- Dave Donohue (at large) – firstname.lastname@example.org
- Jason Hann-Deschaine (at large) – email@example.com
Some of the responsibilities of the Safer Congregations Committee are:
● Know about community resources for child abuse, treatment for sex offenders, and support groups for survivors.
● Know about state laws regarding reporting.
● Be a resource for people to share their concerns. (Please feel free to contact any member of the Committee to talk about your concerns.)
● Facilitate annual training on issues, policies, and procedures relevant to sexual/physical abuse. (Several are planned for later in the church year. E-news will provide updates as these sessions are scheduled.)
● Receive allegations of possible abuse and develop a process for expedient handling of such allegations.
Learn more about the certification process, here.